Friday, May 8, 2009

Einstein's Next Start In Stephen Foster

Trainer Helen Pitts announced today that the Grade I Stephen Foster Handicap, to be run at Churchill Downs on June 13, will be the next start for multiple graded stakes winner Einstein who recently won the Grade I Woodford Reserve Turf Classic on the Derby under card.

Einstein has Grade I wins on turf and synthetic surfaces but he has still to win a Grade I on the dirt. Trainer Helen Pitts said that Churchill Downs, where Einstein is based and where he took down the Grade II Clark Handicap last fall, seemed to be the logical place for him to try to get his first Grade I win on dirt. It is believed that Lava Man is the only horse ever to have Grade I wins over all three surfaces.

After wins in the Grade I Santa Anita Handicap and the Grade I Woodford Reserve Turf Classic to bring his lifetime earings to $2.6 Million, Einstein was named the top horse in training ahead of the likes of Well Armed, who won the $6 Million Dubai World Cup in his last start, the undefeated super mare Zenyatta, and three year old filly sensation Rachel Alexandra.